09 May 2013

Little birdie brooch.


Always about this time of year I have an obsession with birds and birdhouses as we have them nesting in two of our nest boxes in the garden plus 5 Housemartin nests on the side of the house. They fascinate me and give me heaps of inspiration for journal pages and paintings but I thought I'd do something a little bit different and take them off the page by making a brooch.

I used a piece of Claudine Hellmuth sticky backed canvas, cut out the house shape and painted it with Adirondack dabber in Citrus. I backed it onto a piece of felt, trapping some tulle in between, went around the edges with the sewing machine and added the Tim Holtz tissue paper off cut and a piece of lace trim.  

The bird is from Prima and I added a touch of light blue paint to it and stitched him on. 



The little bottle which is from a Tim Holtz Idea-ology corked vials packet, holds a piece of lace, some mini mini shells and a twig and is held on with some stitching. (I also added a small blob of glue to hold it in place and stop the stitching from coming undone).



I wouldn't normally show you the backs of my projects but I have to show you this neat brooch pin by Finnabair as part of a packet of Vintage Mechanicals. Ok it's sewn on a bit squiffy but as I said normally I wouldn't show you this side :)


You could make one of your own and instead of making a brooch why not stick the canvas to a tag as it's already sticky?


See you next week

Jaine x

2 comments:

Sandy said...

Really neat - I thought the vial had bird seed in it!!
Sandy

Gez Butterworth said...

Totally gorgeous Jaine, fab colours :)